2019 Beginner Day Camps - $500
Session I: June 10-14
Session II: June 17-21
Session III: June 24-28
Session IV: July 8-12
Session V: July 22-26
Session VI: July 29-August 2
Session VII: August 5-9
Eligibility: Boys & Girls Ages 11-18. No Rowing Experience Necessary. *Later sessions will be grouped by middle school (11-13 yrs) and high school (14-18 yrs)
Camp Hours: Monday-Thursday, 8:30am-3:30pm and Friday, 8:30am-1pm
Location: Stanford Rowing & Sailing Center *These camps DO NOT take place on Stanford's campus
Stanford Day Camps are open to any all participants ages 11-18. At our day camps we will accommodate campers with a wide variety of ages and skills. The coaching staff will strive to educate and challenge the campers at a level on par with their experience. The first few sessions are mixed together so everyone will learn the basics of rowing. As they gain experience, boats will begin to be grouped by age and skill level. Later sessions in the summer will be divided by age group (middle school and high school) to encourage further development. It is likely that a few of the practices will be mixed together to give people of all skill levels a positive experience.
Please note: Rowing on the water is subject to level of skill and conditions. Wind above 10 mph could potentially effect practice and may lead to some campers rowing on the water, while others participate in land activities.
We will NOT be administering a swim test. However, rowing is a water sport so it is important that your camper be comfortable around the water. Rowing shells rarely, if ever, tip over, but it IS a possibility.
Typical Monday-Thursday Camp Schedule:
- 8:30am: Stretching, Core Exercises and Safety instruction
- 9:15am: Technical work on indoor rowing machines
- 9:45am - 11:00am: Rowing on the water
- 11:00am - 11:30am: Stretch and technique review
- 11:30am - 12:30pm: Rowing on the water
- 12:30pm - 1:30pm: Lunch (not provided). Movie provided as campers relax and rest out of the sun.
- 1:30pm: Post-lunch stretch and technique review
- 2:00pm: Competitions on indoor rowers, team building and leadership exercises
- 3:15-3:30pm: Camp dismissed
Typical Friday Camp Schedule
- 8:30am: Stretching, core exercises, extended land warm up
- 9am-10:30 am: Technical work on indoor rowing machines
- 10:30am - 11:45am: Race Day on the water!
*Friends and family are encouraged to come watch the campers race in front of the boathouse
- 11:45am: Wash boats and put equipment away.
- 12:00-1:00pm: Campers may be dismissed any time after equipment is away.